Dr. Priyanka Jamwal
- 1 of 7
- next ›
- 1 of 2
- next ›
- 1 of 3
- next ›
I am interested in solving the problem of water pollution, including point and non-point source pollution, biological and industrial contamination, and surface and ground water. I am also interested in determining pollution abatement through wastewater treatment and contamination/decontamination approaches in water distribution network. My work involves field sampling, laboratory simulations and modelling approaches. I am also in charge of the Water and Soil Laboratory at ATREE.
PhD, Environmental Engineering and Management, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, 2008.
Dissertation Title: Point and Non-point source of pollution in Delhi city: Quantification and Management.
M.E, Environmental Engineering, Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh, 2003.
B.Tech., Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, 2001.
- Water Quality Workshop Grant, Royal Society of Chemistry, British Council, UK, November 2018
- Researcher Exchange Grant, NERC, UK and the Ministry of Earth Sciences, India, May 2017
- RBC Fellowship, Royal Bank of Canada, Canada, February 2016
- Fast Track Young Scientist Award, Department of Science And Technology, India, March 2012
- Postdoctoral Research Associate Fellowship, from Indian Institute of science, Bangalore, India, September 2008
- Research Assistantship Fellowship, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), India March 2005
- EGIDE Scholarship, for nine months sandwich program of Ministere Affairs Etrangeres Boursier du Gouvernement Francais as a Research Fellow in CEREVE Paris, France, December 2004
Reports and discussion papers
- Jamwal Priyanka, Chandan Gowda and Praveen Kumar. “A rapid water quality assessment of Vembanad Lake” (2018).
- Lele, Sharachchandra, Veena Srinivasan, Priyanka Jamwal, K. Bejoy Thomas, and Meghana Eswar. "Water management in Arkavathy basin: A situation analysis” (2013). https://www.atree.org/sites/default/files/discussion_papers/arkavathy201...
Editorials and commentaries (in academic journals)
- Biswas. D and Jamwal P. Swachh Bharat Mission - Groundwater Contamination in Peri-urban India, Economic and Political weekly (52), 20 (2017): 18-20.
- 2018 December: Newspaper, English,The News Minute, Why Bengaluru’s sewage treatment plants may never be enough for the city. https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/why-bengalurus-sewage-treatment-plants-may-never-be-enough-city-93663
- 2018 November: Newspaper, English, The Hindu - IISc ties-up with Scottish institute for low-cost wastewater treatment system. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/national/iisc-ties-up-with-scottish-institute-for-low-cost-wastewater-treatment-system/article25636833.ece.
- 2018 November: Newspaper, English, Indian Express, IISc’s pilot project will reduce dependence on fresh water by 40 per cent. http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/2018/dec/01/iiscs-pilot-project-will-reduce-dependence-on-fresh-water-by-40-1905740.html
- 2018 November: Newspaper, English, The Times of India, Team of scientists from India, Scotland develops wastewater. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/66871109.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
- 2018 July: Newspaper, English, Deccan Chronicle, Bengaluru: More funds needed to study lake pollution, https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/070718/bengaluru-...
- 2018 June: Newspaper, English, Deccan Chronicle, 38 apartments yet to install STPs: KSPCB 2018-06-01. https://deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/280618/38-apartments-...
- 2018 March: Newspaper, English, The Hindu, STP has residents of gated community worried, 2018-03-24. http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/stp-has-residents-of-gated...
- 2018, February: News Channel, English, The national geographic , Why This Lake Keeps Catching on Fire, 2018-02-14. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/bangalore-indialake-bellandu...
- 2018 January: Blog/Portal, English, The news minute, Bellandur-lake-fire: green-court-ordersapartments-catchment-area-build-stps , 2018-01-30.
- 2018 January: Newspaper, English, The Hindu, Pleading with officials had no impact, Bangalore, city, 2018-01-29. http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/pleading-withofficials-had...
- 2018 January: Newspaper, English, The news minute, Bellandur lake fire: NGT directs K’taka to submit timelines to treat lake by Jan 29, 2018-01-25. https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/bellandur-lake-fire-ngt-directs-k-...
- 2017 November: Newspaper, English, The news minute, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in peri-urban areas: Is groundwater being contaminated? 2017-11-17. https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/does-bbmp-even-care-about-setting-...
- 2017 October: Newspaper, English, Water bodies near Ooty polluted by industrial effluents, 2017-10-05. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/coimbatore/water-bodies-near-oo...
- 2017 August: Newspaper, English, Indian Express, Green Chaturthi has feet of clay, 2017-08-28. http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/2017/aug/23/green-chatu...
- Philiphs. D., Karlsurd, K and P. Jamwal (2017). Strategic in-stream systems (STRAin-s): A decentralized, anticipatory approach to urban wastewater decontamination within Bangalore and beyond. Annual Work seminar, ATREE, 2 – 4 August, 2017.
- Biswas. D and Jamwal. P (2017). Groundwater and sanitation nexus in peri-urban towns: Learnings from the field. Annual Work seminar, ATREE, 2 – 4 August, 2017.
- Thomas, B. K, P. Jamwal, S. Lele and V. Srinivasan (2014). 'Thinking About Urban Resilience: The Case of Water Scarcity and Wastewater Reuse in Bengaluru', Urban Resilience: Proceedings of the Colloquium, Bengaluru: Public Affairs Centre, ISBN 9788188816378.
- Jamwal. P, T. Md. Zuhail, Praveen Raje Urs and Malavika Gopinath (2013). Estimation of organic load along the Vrishabhavathy River, Karnataka, India. Annual Work seminar, ATREE, 6 – 8 August, 2013.
Conference papers (oral or poster)
- Fones. G., P. Jamwal., Gravell. A. and Mills. A. Graham (2018). Applications of Chemcatcher for screening pharmaceuticals in the effluent of sewage treatment plant in Bangalore, India, In 10th International Passive Sampling Workshop (IPSW), 9 – 11 May 2018, Dublin, Ireland.
- K.B. Chandan., P. Raje. Urs., and P. Jamwal (2016). Benchmarking efficiency and efficacy of decentralized STPs using life cycle approach: A case study of Bangalore, India, In: Thirty-second National Convention of Environmental Engineers. Organised by The Institution of Engineers (India), 5 – 6 August 2016, Pune Local Center, India.
- Jamwal P., S. Lele and M. Menon (2016). Rethinking water quality standards in the context of urban rivers, In: Urbanization and the Environment. Organised by Indian Society for Ecological Economics, January 4 - 6, 2016. Bangalore, India.
- 2018 June: Groundwater Sanitation Nexus, Workshop on Groundwater Sanitation Nexus Research Programme, IHS Bangalore, 19th June 2018 Bangalore, India.
- 2018 May: Planetary Health Annual Meeting, University of Edinburgh, 29-31 May 2018 Edinburgh, United Kingdom. https://planetaryhealthannualmeeting.org/
- 2018 March: GCRF-Water Observatory and Solutions Hub (G-WOSH) Full application workshop, 6-9 March 2018, Stirling Highland Hotel, Stirling, United Kingdom.
- 2017 December: Rethinking Water Management in Bengaluru, Workshop supported by IDRC, Royal Norwegian Embassy and Oracle, Alliance Francaise, 19th December 2017 Bangalore, India.
- 2017 October: Frontiers of Engineering for Development symposium, Oxford University, 17-20 September 2017, United Kingdom. https://www.raeng.org.uk/policy/international-policy-anddevelopment/gcrf....
- 2017 July: Unlock Bengaluru 2017, Water Research Institute , 8 th July 2017, Bangalore, India, Panelist http://wri-india.org/events/unlock-bengaluru-2017
Invited talks/keynote addresses
- 2018 May: Water quality management: the effect of industrial effluents on human health, Invited Talk, Planetary Health Annual Meeting, University of Edinburgh, 2018-05-28, University of Edinburgh, UK, https://planetaryhealthannualmeeting.org/
- 2018 March: Catchment-based strategy to address water quality issues in rapidly urbanising habitations, Key Note address, E-Sail International Conference, 2018-03-01, Christ University campus, Bangalore, India.
- 2017 November: Catchment-based strategy to address water quality issues in rapidly urbanising habitations, Invited Talk, 2nd Information & Networking, Event: EU-India Call on Water, Bengaluru, 30 -11-2017, Bangalore, India
- 2017 October: Strategic In-stream Systems (STRAin-s): A Decentralized, Anticipatory Approach to Urban Wastewater De-contamination Within Indian Emerging Cities, Invited Talk, Frontiers of Engineering for Development symposium , Research councils UK, 2017-09-17, Oxford Union, UK. https://www.raeng.org.uk/policy/international-policy-and-development/gcr...(1)/symposium-3
- 2017 July: Surface water quality management in urbanising watersheds: Key issues Challenges and way forward, Invited Talk, Department of Civil Engineering, Christ College, 2017-07-08, Bangalore, India
- 2017 July: City and its wastewater : Key issues and challenges, Invited Talk, National Workshop on Advocating for Scaling Safe water Solutions, Freshwater Action Network South Asia (FANSA) , 2016-07-21, Himachal Pradesh, India
- 2017 March: Surface water quality management in urbanising watersheds: Key issues Challenges and way forward, Invited Talk, Society of Civil Engineering, 2017-03-27, NIT Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- 2017 January: Sustainable Development and Water issue- Scarcity, Pollution and Water conservation management, Invited Talk, Training programme on Environment Audit, Regional Training Centre (RTC), 2017-01-04, Bangalore, India