Dr. G Ravikanth
Dr. Ravikanth’s research over the last 20 years has focused on applying molecular tools in the context of tropical forest conservation and species recovery. He has led multiple research projects focusing on trees and forest genetic resources that provide critical societal value. His empirical work has largely focused on Conservation genetics and molecular ecology, examining local patterns of spatial genetic structure across a range of economically important species. A core research focus has been on enhancing the conservation and sustainable use of Forest Genetic resources to deliver sustainable development. He has published more than 100 research papers and has obtained funding from a number of national and international agencies including Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Science and Technology, Swedish International Development Agency and USAID. His work has also focused on developing tools and research outputs to manage forest genetic resources of Western Ghats for forest landscape restoration and livelihoods.
Ravikant’s recent research has been on developing DNA barcodes for number medicinal plants. He has used DNA barcoding to assess the extent of adulteration in herbal trade. He is also assessing the impacts of harvesting on the genetic structure of plant populations. Ravikanth’s research interests can be broadly divided into:
- Understanding the genetic consequences of harvesting/ habitat degradation/fragmentation
- Evolution and Molecular systematics
- Biogeography and Phylogeography
- Chemical Ecology and Bioprospecting
His research integrates molecular, ecological, phylogenetics and niche modelling tools to address some fundamental research questions. His research group works across various taxa, including plants, amphibians and molluscs.
- FELLOW -2 (Associate Professor, 2012 –till date), Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment, Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur Post, Bangalore – 560064
- FELLOW-1 (Assistant Professor, 2008 -2012), Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment, Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur Post, Bangalore – 560064
- POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW, (Jan 2004- Oct 2008), Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment, Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur Post, Bangalore – 560064
- SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW (Aug 2001- Dec 2003), University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bangalore-560065
- 1 of 35
- next ›