APPLICATIONS INVITED FOR PhD in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies
ATREE invites applications for admission to the 2021 intake of its doctoral research programme in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies. The programme is recognized by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and is one of the few programmes in India that provides students training in the natural sciences, social sciences and interdisciplinary practice to conduct research on biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
ATREE’s research covers the broad themes of biodiversity conservation, environment, and development. Thematic areas include conservation biology and planning; forest governance and livelihoods; ecosystem services and well-being; hydrology and water resources; energy and climate change mitigation; food security; and development and environmental change. Students will be required to identify a potential supervisor at the time of admission and should visit the webpages of the faculty (listed below) who are accepting students this year to learn more about their research.
- Abi Tamim Vanak
- Durba Biswas
- G Ravikanth
- Jagdish Krishnaswamy
- Nirmalya Chatterjee
- Sharachchandra Lele
- Shrinivas Badiger
- R Ganesan
Only students holding a valid CSIR-JRF, UGC-JRF or applying for the DST-INSPIRE Fellowship 2020, with prior training in any branch of the social, natural, or engineering sciences are eligible for admission to the PhD programme. Selected students will undergo coursework for three semesters, after which they will conduct independent research under the guidance of an advisory committee, chaired by the faculty advisor. ATREE fosters diversity and gender equity at the workplace; women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply. ATREE’s affirmative action policy will be followed during the PhD selection process.
Admission and Eligibility
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in any social science, natural science or engineering discipline and have secured a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent.
- The candidate must have been awarded a CSIR-JRF or UGC‐JRF no later than 31st August 2020. DST-INSPIRE Fellowship 2020 awardees must submit their provisional award letters no later than 30th April 2021.
Candidates seeking admission for the PhD programme at ATREE should submit the following documents:
- Updated CV
- A completed application form
- Copies of CSIR-JRF or UGC-JRF award letters, degree certificate, or provisional degree certificate, and Master’s course mark sheets.
- A written statement of purpose in the applicant’s own words, which highlights his or her research and career goals (maximum 1000 words).
- Confidential reference letters from two referees, sent directly by the referees to the address below by email or post.
Applicants should submit completed applications and all supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to the address listed below by April 16, 2021. Candidates submitting their applications by email should indicate ‘Application for PhD programme’ in the subject line of the email; those submitting their applications by post should superscribe the envelope. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Shortlisted applicants will have to appear for an interview at ATREE, Bangalore. The academic year will begin on 2nd August 2021.
Academy for Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies,
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur, Bangalore 560 064
Email: email@example.com Phone: +91-80-23635555 Extn: 121