Faculty Position: Forests & Governance
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) is seeking to fill one faculty position in its programme on Forests & Governance. The programme seeks to recruit a social scientist with an interdisciplinary inclination to pursue applied research on questions of forest-based livelihoods, rural development, and/or forest institutions and governance.
- PhD from a reputed university and at least two years of post-PhD research experience (or equivalent pre-PhD work experience) in Political Science, Development Studies, Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Ecology, Geography or related fields.
- Strong publication record related to the area of research
- Strong motivation towards interdisciplinary problem-solving and policy-/action-relevant research
- Ability to work in a team and to build research teams
- Ability to contribute to the ATREE PhD programme in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies and/or ATREE’s policy outreach efforts
- Demonstrated ability to obtain research grants
- Prior teaching experience
Appointments and emoluments
Appointments will normally be at the level of Fellow (equivalent to Assistant Professor), but candidates for more senior positions will also be considered. Similarly, fresh PhDs could be considered for ‘faculty-track’ post-doctoral positions. The position is long-term, supported by endowments. Salaries at ATREE are competitive and at par with the IITs/IISc. The position will be based in Bangalore.
ATREE is one of South Asia's leading conservation and environmental research organizations. ATREE seeks to address pressing environmental challenges through interdisciplinary research, teaching and active engagement with civil society and policy makers. ATREE fosters autonomy, professional growth, diversity and gender equity at the work place. Women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email their CV, names and contact information of three references, a concise statement (<5pages) of research to be carried out over the next five years, and a letter describing their professional goals and interests. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is appointed. Mails and queries should be addressed to:
The HR Officer
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment
Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur P.O. Bangalore 560 064.
Tel: +91 (80) 2363-5555, Fax: 2353-0070