The primary objective of my thesis is to understand the dynamics of long-term carbon sequestration in tree biomass and soils of afforested and reforested tracts obtained through different forest plantation methods in comparable eco-regions in peninsular India. I plan to quantify carbon sequestered in above- and below-ground biomass and estimation of topsoil and deep-soil carbon in plots managed under different forest plantation methods over a spectrum of stand ages to come up with the 'best' reforestative practice in a given landscape.
Education: 2017-19: 2 years M.Sc Botany (Specialization: Cytogenetics and Plant Biotechnology)- University of Mumbai, Maharashtra
2013-17: 4 years Integrated B.Sc. B.Ed. (Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Professional Education) - Regional Institute of Education (NCERT) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
1) Mohapatra A.K., Roy Anirban, 2015, Capuchin Monkeys: The New World Primates, Science Horizon (Odisha Bigyan Academy), 2: 11-16
2) Mohapatra A.K., Roy Anirban, 2015, Platypus: The Animal of Confusions, Science Horizon (Odisha Bigyan Academy), 3: 17-24
3) Mohapatra A.K., Roy Anirban, 2015, Novel Therapy for River blindness and filariasis, Science Horizon (Odisha Bigyan Academy), 11: 7-16
4) Goswami M., Roy Anirban, The Secret of Electric Jolt of Electric Fishes, Science Reporter (CSIR), 53 (05): 38-40
5) Roy Anirban, Accidental Discoveries in Medical Science, Dream 2047 (Vigyan Prasar), 19 (08): 2528 (Indexed in Scopus)
6) Goswami M., Roy Anirban, How do they know where they are flying, Science Reporter (CSIR), 54 (07): 31-32
7) Roy Anirban, 2018, How the Geckos climb the wall, Dream 2047 (Vigyan Prasar), 20 (10), 27-28 (Indexed in Scopus)
8) Roy Anirban, Ojha Srikant, 2018, To draw or not to draw, Science Reporter (CSIR), 55 (1): 26-27
9) Roy Anirban, Singh Sushmita, 2018, Exploring the Creative Schema of the Secondary Grade Children in Construction of Scientific Concepts using Prefixes and Suffixes, International Journal of Science and Research, 7 (6): 1259-1263
10) Mohapatra A.K., Roy Anirban, Exploring Drawing Skills and Mental Images of Secondary Students on Human Digestive System through Hand Drawing, Journal of Indian Education, XLIV (2): 94-108
11) In Press at Basic and Applied Herpetology: Ojha S., Roy A. & Mohapatra A., 2019, Chronic Toxicity of Cadmium to Polypedates maculatus (Gray, 1830) tadpoles revealed delayed metamorphosis and augmentation of tumours
12) Presently being reviewed at Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge: Roy A. & Janbandhu S., 2019, An Ethnobotanical Analysis on Flora-Medicine Continuum among the tribal inhabitants of Ratnagiri and Palghar District, Maharashtra, India
13) Presently being reviewed at Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências: Di Pasquo M., Kavali P.S., Dino R., Shivanna M., Pedãrao E., Roy A., 2019, Faunipollenites Bharadwaj 1962 and Protohaploxypinus Samoilovich 1953 emend. Morbey 1975: Morphologic comparison of oxidized and non- oxidized specimens from India and Brazil, and its taxonomic importance
Research Experiences and Internships:
1) April 2019- June 2019- Summer Project: Hypothesizing the effects of Evolutionary Isolation of Hosts on colonizer phenotypes in temperate forest ecosystem: Comparative analysis with Island Biogeography.
Advisor: Dr. Andreas Prinzing, Professor, Equipe Evolution Structure et Dynamique de la Diversité, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France.
The research group is particularly interested in the effect of evolutionary distances between host (oak) trees and neighbours on the phenotypes of colonizers (caterpillars). The goal is to understand whether for a given species of host tree, phenotypes of colonizers change depending on the neighbouring trees.
2) January 2019- March 2019- Winter Project: Reconstruction of vegetation and evolutionary patterns of forest ecology of Gondwana basins (Master’s Thesis). \
Advisor: Dr. Pauline Sabina K., Scientist-D, Department of Gondwana Palynoflora, Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeosciences (BSIP), Lucknow, India.
Deciphering the vegetation, climate and functional ecology of Gondwana Basin through geological time scale ranging from early Carboniferous to late Permian period. The study involves palynochronology & stratigraphic correlation of spores to reconstruct the patterns of forest colonization & diversification.
3) May 2018- August 2018- Summer Project: Timberline and altitudinal gradient ecology of Western Himalayas and human use sustenance in a warming climate.
Advisor: Dr. Bhupendra Singh Adhikari, Scientist- G, Department of Habitat Ecology, Wildlife Institute of India (WII), Dehradun, India.
Impacts of livestock grazing on plant species composition and nutrients‟ sequestration in montane forests (as per varying altitudes) on the western slope of Himalayas- A comparative analysis of grazed versus ungrazed alpine meadows of Tungnath and Shokhrak rangelands, Uttarakhand.
4) Feb 2017- April 2017- Short Project: Floral and Chemical diversity of Sakharwadi Sugarcane field, Satara district of Maharashtra.
Advisor: Dr. Ketan Thatte, Dept. of Botany, KJSSC, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India.
The presence of Sugarcane factory in Sakharwadi has caused a colossal transition in the botanical and chemical composition of the soil and water of that site. The study was meant to understand the edaphic parameters and how Phytoremediation can be a solution to the present problem.
5) August 2017- December 2017- Short Project: An Ethnobotanical study and phytochemistry of indigenous medicinal plants in Palghar and Ratnagiri district, Maharashtra, India.
Advisor: Mrs. Supriya Janbandhu, HOD, Dept. of Botany, KJSSC, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India.
A study on plant-medicine continuum (ethnobiology) among the inhabitants of two tribal predominant districts of Maharashtra and phytochemical screening of the secondary metabolites from the reported plant parts (as said by the tribal folks).
6) January 2016- May 2016- B.Ed. (Research) Project: Exploring Drawing Skills and Mental Images of Secondary Students on Human Digestive System through Hand Drawing.
Advisor: Education faculty, RIE (NCERT) Bhubaneswar, India.
In consideration of the potential of drawing as assessment and learning tool, we explored how secondary students used it to communicate their understanding of human digestive system. The study realized the importance of drawing as an epistemological activity for synthesis of understanding in addition to other forms of communication and assessment of misconceptions.
7) July 2016- December 2016- B.Sc. (Research) Project: A morpho-physiological comparative analytic study of tadpoles with respect to toxic stimulants/ markers.
Advisor: Prof. Animesh Kr. Mohapatra, RIE (NCERT) Bhubaneswar, India.
It was an eco-toxicology research where Polypedates maculatus tadpoles (Class- Amphibia) were taken as the sample organisms. Exposure of the tadpoles to varied concentrations of Cadmium revealed eccentric changes in behavior along with development of tumours, with low index of motility and high index of mortality.
8) September 2014- April 2015- Short Project: Exploring the Creative Schema of the Secondary Grade Children in Construction of Scientific Concepts using Prefixes and Suffixes.
Advisor: Prof. Krutibash Rath, Principal, RIE (NCERT) Bhubaneswar, India.
It was a Science-Linguistic study wherein the creative schema of the secondary grade children was inquired using prefixes and suffixes as the mental stimulants through a bi-linguistic approach (English and Hindi).
Paper Presentation(s) and Talk(s):
1) Delivered a talk on “How Plants interact with each other” at 4th State of the Map Asia International Conference hosted at Krishibid Institution, Dhaka, Bangladesh (travel scholarship received from State of the Map Asia 2019 Working Group)
2) Delivered an oral presentation on “Impacts of Grazing on the Species Diversity and Composition of herbaceous communities in Tungnath Alpine Rangelands, Western Himalayas, INDIA” at 6th International Conference on Plants and Environmental Pollution, held at CSIR-NBRI, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (scholarship received from Travel Grant of IUBS, Paris).
3) Presented a poster on “Biodiversity and endemic plants of tribal predominant districts of Maharashtra” at International India Science Festival, conducted at IIT Chennai- 2017.
4) Presented a poster on “An Ethnobotanical study and phytochemical screening of secondary metabolites of Indigenous medicinal plants in Palghar and Ratnagiri district, Maharashtra, India” and bagged a position of top five at Two days National Symposium on Current trends in Herbal Drug discovery and Ethnopharmacology at VES’s College of Pharmacy, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
5) Symbiotek- The Student Council of Department of BIOSCIENCES and BIO-ENGINEERING, IIT Bombay awarded with the Best Poster title in their annual event held in March 2018.
6) Delivered an oral presentation on “Exploring Drawing Skills and Mental Images of Secondary Students on Human Digestive System through Hand Drawing” (Research paper) at National Seminar on Science Education, hosted by Regional Institute of Education (NCERT), Ajmer, Rajasthan.
7) Presented a poster on “Exposure of Polypedates maculatus (Gray, 1830) tadpoles to Cadmium reveals delayed metamorphosis and development of tumours” at Intercollegiate Research Meet and Poster Presentation “JIGNYASA” at SIES College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sion, Maharashtra.
8) Delivered an oral presentation on “Exploring the Creative Mental Representation of the SecondaryGrade Children about Scientific Concepts employing 'Bi-linguistic' Approach of Prefixes and Suffixes” (Research paper) at Language across Curriculum in Multi-Linguistic context, hosted by Regional Institute of Education (NCERT), Mysuru, Karnataka.
9) Delivered an oral presentation on “Exploring the Basic misconceptions in Biological Science learning of Secondary Grade Children” (Research paper) at National Conference on Science Education, hosted by Regional Institute of Education (NCERT), Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
Indraji Thaker Research Fund for five years, sponsored by Research and Monitoring in the Banni Landscape (RAMBLE), Banni Research Centre, Hodko, Bhuj. INDIA.
SayTrees Grant, sponsored by SayTrees, Bangalore for working in plantations adjoining Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA