Fellow, Climate Change, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE)
- 2007 - present PhD (to be submitted),Vulnerability of Indian cities to climate change: an indicator-based approach, Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- 1997 - 1999 M A Economics (with specialization in world economy), School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- 1994 - 1997 B A (Honours) Economics,Indraprastha College for Women, University of Delhi.
- Aug 2015 - present Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), Bangalore Fellow, Climate change.
- Aug 2006 - June 2015 The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), Bangalore Fellow, Centre for Global Environment Research (CGER).
- Jan 2005 - Aug 2006 TERI, Bangalore Associate Fellow, CGER.
- Apr 2004 - Dec 2004 TERI, New Delhi Associate Fellow, CGER.
- Nov 2000 - Feb 2004 TERI, New Delhi Area Convenor, CGER.
- Jun 1999 - Mar 2004 TERI, New Delhi Research Associate, CGER.
Projects on climate change mitigation, finance and policy
Scoping and Project Design Work on Climate Resilient Housing: PPCR-Bangladesh IFC Bangladesh 2014-15
Scoping and Project Design Work on Climate Resilient Housing: PPCR-Nepal IFC Nepal 2013-2015
Coping with climate: assessing policies for climate change adaptation and transport sector mitigation in Indian cities (CLIMATRANS) Research Council of Norway 2014-2015
Compendium for African policymakers UNECA 2012
The Indian insurance industry and climate change: exposure, corporate responsibility and strategies ahead DFID 2005-06
- Research on key issues in climate change negotiations for India MoEF, GOI 2004-07
Role of emissions trading in climate policy MISTRA Sweden 2004-07
National Strategy Study on CDM (Clean Development Mechanism) in India World Bank and MoEF, GOI 2003-05
Enabling activity for India's initial National Communication to the UNFCCC: Industrial processes inventory component MoEF, GOI 2002-03
CIDA energy-efficiency project: CDM component Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) 2000-03
Enabling activity for Bhutan's National Communication to the UNFCCC UNDP-GEF 2000
Laos greenhouse gas project UNDP-GEF 2000-01
Projects on climate change adaptation and sustainable development
- The governance of climate services: Improving knowledge networks for resilient and socially just societies (GovClimServices) Research Council of Norway 2015.
Himalayan Adaptation, Water and Resilience (HI-AWARE) research on glacier and snowpack dependent river basins for improving livelihoods IDRC 2014-15.
Economic value of biodiversity conservation provided by forest and agro-forest ecosystems in Kodagu District SANDEE 2014-16.
SAARC regional study on climate risks in the region: ways to comprehensively address the related social, economic and environmental challenges ADB 2012-13.
Extreme risks, Vulnerability, and community-based Adaptation in India (EVA) Embassy of Norway 2012-14.
Assessing climate change vulnerability and adaptation strategies for Maharashtra State, India Government of Maharashtra 2012-13.
Building capacity for adaptive governance through participatory modelling: rural and urban flooding in India Asia Pacific Network for Global Change Research (APN) 2013-14.
Climate and Development Research Review Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN) 2012.
Dialogue on strengthening environmental governance in the context of sustainable development in India: the case of plateaus and hills Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS)2013-14
State level consultative workshop on implications of climate change on water and sanitation United Nations ChildrenÕs Fund (UNICEF) 2013-14
Adaptive policies for agriculture, water resources and climate change: designing policies that can adapt to a world of uncertainty, change and surprise IDRC 2005-07
Vulnerability to climate change in the context of economic globalization CIDA 2001-04
Pilot application of participatory approach to investigate local vulnerability and adaptation to climate variability and water stress in Uttaranchal START (System for Analysis Research and Training) 2004-06
Socioeconomic scenarios for climate change impact assessment for India UK DEFRA and MoEF, GoI 2001-04
- Varma N, Kelkar U, Bhardwaj S, Singh P and Mishra A. 2014. Climate change, disasters and development: Testing the waters for adaptive governance in India. Vision-Journal of Business Perspective. Special issue on governance and public policy 18(4): 327-338. http://vis.sagepub.com/content/18/4/327.abstract
- Kelkar U, Balachandra P, and Gurtoo A. 2011. Assessing Indian cities for vulnerability to climate change. Proceedings of International Conference on Environmental Science and Development ICESD 2011, organised by Asia-Pacific Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering Society (APCBEES) and IEEE, Mumbai, 7-9 January 2011.
- Kelkar U, Narula K K, Sharma V P, and Chandna U. 2008. Vulnerability and adaptation to climate variability and water stress in Uttarakhand State, India. Global Environmental Change 18(4): 564-574.
- Acosta-Michlik L, Kelkar U, and Sharma U. 2008. A critical overview: Local evidence on vulnerabilities and adaptations to global environmental change in developing countries. Global Environmental Change 18(4): 539-542.
- Kelkar U, James C R, and Kumar R. 2007. The Indian insurance industry and climate change: exposure, opportunities, and strategies ahead. Climate Policy 6(6): 658-671.
- Bhandari P, Bhadwal S, and Kelkar U. 2007. Examining adaptation and mitigation opportunities in the context of the integrated watershed management programme of the Government of India. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 12(5): 919-933.
- O'Brien K, Leichenko R, Kelkar U, Venema H, Aandahl G, Tompkins H, Javed A, Bhadwal S, Barg S, Nygaard L, West J. 2004. Mapping vulnerability to multiple stressors: Climate change and globalization in India. Global Environmental Change 14(4): 303-313.
- Kelkar U, Varma N, Gurtoo A and Balachandra P. 2015. Resilience of Indian cities to climate risks: exploring multiple dimensions and connecting diverse actors. Urban Resilience - Proceedings of the Colloquium held on 27 September 2014, Organised by the Environmental Governance Group, Public Affairs Centre, Bangalore.
- Kelkar U, Mohan D, and de Bruin K. 2014. Participatory assessment of adaptation options: climate change and extreme drought in Marathwada. EVA Policy Brief No. 3. New Delhi: TERI. 4 pp.
- Varma N, Kelkar U and Bhardwaj S. 2014. Building capacity for adaptive governance through participatory modelling: rural and urban flooding in India. APN Science Bulletin 4: 167-169.
- Vedeld T, Aandahl G, Barkved L, Kelkar U, de Bruin K, and Lanjekar P. 2014. Drought in Jalna: Community-based adaptation to extreme climate events in Maharashtra. New Delhi: TERI.
- Meenawat H, Kelkar U, and Gautam S K. 2014. Environmental governance in the context of sustainable development in India: the case of plateaus and hills. New Delhi: TERI and Konrad Adenauer Stiftung.
- Aandahl G and Kelkar U. 2014. Community based adaptation and differential vulnerability. EVA Policy Brief No. 2. New Delhi: TERI. 4 pp.
- Kelkar U, Bose A, and Sud R. 2013. Adaptation financing: strategic options for Africa. TERI-ACPC Policy Brief 2013/3.
- Kelkar U. 2013. Impacts of climate change on water quality in Karnataka. Bangalore: TERI, UNICEF and RDPR, Government of Karnataka.
- Kelkar U and Bhadwal S. 2007. South Asian regional study on climate change impacts and adaptation: implications for human development. Occasional Paper for Human Development Report 2007/08 Fighting climate change: human solidarity in a divided world. New York: Human Development Report Office. 46 pp.
- Kelkar U. 2006. The climate, development, and poverty nexus in Africa. In Thornton PK, Jones PG, Owiyo TM, Kruska RL, Herrero M, Kristjanson P, Notenbaert A, Bekele N and Omolo A. Mapping climate vulnerability and poverty in Africa. Report to the Department for International Development. Nairobi: International Livestock Research Institute. pp. 168-177.
- Kelkar U. 2006. Adaptive policy case study: weather-indexed insurance for agriculture in India. In IISD and TERI. Designing policies in a world of uncertainty, change, and surprise: adaptive policy-making for agriculture and water resources in the face of climate change. Report to the International Development Research Centre. International Institute for Sustainable Development, Winnipeg and The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi. 170 pp.
- Kelkar U. 2006. Indian agriculture: growth, sustainability, and vulnerability. In IISD and TERI. Designing policies in a world of uncertainty, change, and surprise: adaptive policy-making for agriculture and water resources in the face of climate change. Report to the International Development Research Centre. International Institute for Sustainable Development, Winnipeg and The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi. 170 pp.
- Kelkar U. 2006. Climate change, Kyoto Protocol, and the clean development mechanism. In Jacob J and Mathew N M (ed.). Kyoto Protocol and the rubber industry. Kottayam: Rubber Research Institute of India, Rubber Board (Ministry of Commerce, Government of India). pp. 1-22.
- Kelkar U. 2005. The palimpsest of adaptation research: an overview of concepts and frameworks. Policy brief prepared on the occasion of COP-11. New Delhi: TERI Press. 12 pp.
- Bhadwal S, Singhal S, Krishnan R and Kelkar U. 2004. Global environmental change: variation in impacts across regions and within populations. IHDP Update: Newsletter of the International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change. 1/2004: 11-12.
- Kelkar U. 2003. Poverty and vulnerability: linking environmental and socio-economic dimensions of adaptation. In TERI. 2003. Environmental threats, vulnerability, and adaptation: case studies from India. New Delhi: The Energy and Resources Institute. Pp. 19-27.
- Kelkar U, Bhujanga Rao DD, Bhadwal S, Girisha G K, and Javed A. 2003. Climate change and economic changes in India: the impacts on agriculture. In Dash S K and Rao P (eds.). 2003. Assessment of climate change in India and mitigation policies. New Delhi: WWF-India. Pp. 52-61.
- O'Brien K, Leichenko R, Kelkar U, Venema H, Aandahl G, Tompkins H, Javed A, Bhadwal S, Barg S, Nygaard L, West J. 2003. Vulnerability of Indian agriculture to climate change and economic change. In IUCN. 2003. Mainstreaming biodiversity and climate change: Proceedings of the Asia Regional Workshop, 6-11 April 2003, Dehradun, India.
Awards and scholarships
- 2010: Jury Appreciation Award for paper on "Vulnerability of Indian cities to climate change" in COSMAR (Consortium of Students in Management Research) organized by the Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- 2004-2006: Grant from Advanced Institute on Vulnerability to Global Environmental Change, a program funded by the David and Lucille Packard Foundation and coordinated by START in partnership with IIASA, to 20 young scientists to participate in 3-week seminar in IIASA and carry out 15-month research project
- 1998-1999: Ford Foundation Scholarship for academic performance, MA Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Participated in 10-member Expert Design Workshop on Transdisciplinarity, organized by International Social Science Council (ISSC), National Research Foundation (NRF) South Africa, International Council for Science (ICSU), and START, to design a training module on interdisciplinary research in global change, Paris, 16-18 June 2014
- Included in UNDP National Communications Support Programme's roster of experts on vulnerability and adaptation to climate change
- Contributing author for Chapter 7 on Human Settlements, Energy and Industry in IPCC Third Assessment Report Working Group II
- Reviewer for IPCC Fourth Assessment Report Working Group II
- Reviewer for UNDP-GEF's Adaptation Policy Frameworks (APF) for Climate Change
- Member of Organising Committee of START Young Scientists' Global Change conference, Beijing, 7-9 November 2006
- Coordinated all NGO events during UNFCCC COP-8 in Delhi, 22-31 October 2002
- Organized international conference on "Energy, environment, and development: analysing opportunities for reducing poverty", Bangalore, 14-16 December 2006, on behalf of TERI, Veolia Environment Institute (IVE) and IDDRI France
- Organized Delhi Greenhouse Gas Forum during 2004 to 2006, annual international CDM meet with policymakers, project developers, and carbon buyers, sponsored by International Emissions Trading Agency (IETA), World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) and World Bank.
- Participated in UNFCCC COP 6 (The Hague, 2000), COP 6.5 (Bonn, 2001), COP 8 (Delhi, 2002), COP 9 (Milan, 2003), and COP-11 (Montreal, 2005)
English and Hindi (fluent), Marathi (functional), Bengali (basic spoken), some familiarity with Kannada